Thursday, April 30, 2015

Five Riddles

Here are five riddles.  As usual, I am aping my betters.  They're meant to fill in for my One Page Dungeon.

1
It's owner could not eat their fill,
and so they abandoned it,
and flew weeping into the light.

I was born in in it,
I call these red walls home,
and devour it in the dark.

And when I have eaten my fill,
I will abandon it,
and fly laughing into the light.

(maggot on a corpse that died of starvation)



2
A bird with feathers, but no wings.
An engine with fuel, but no metal.
When they meet, one yields,
but this is the end of both of their arcs.

(arrow in a heart)


3
I am the enemy within.
All will join my cause,
and grow pure and clean and thin.

(skeleton)


4
I am the destroying tree.
I do not grow, but spring forth full grown.
I do not give, but take away.
From my fruit, nothing grows.

(gallows)


5
Born of earth,
I bring the sky closer.
Fly from my crown,
and return to the earth forever.

(suicide from the top of a tower)


Answers are in white text below the riddle.  Highlight to reveal.

2 comments:

  1. Riddles that don't rhyme? Crazy talk!

    Just the first three with some tweaks:

    Flying with feathers but no wings,
    To an engine of no metal.
    The beating second no longer sings,
    When the first comes home to settle.
    - an arrow to the heart

    No longer feeding on life's full buffet,
    To the dust it was rejected.
    Others fled in tears; 'Glory long gone,'
    Was what they must have suspected.

    But I like it; it’s become my home,
    The red walls leave me protected.
    It tastes sweet too, after all, you know,
    I don't mind the term: infected.

    And now I'm done, hunger gorged,
    The last days of youth inspected.
    So now lift off to fuller days,
    Where more refuse can be genuflected.
    - maggot in a corpse

    I am the enemy strong within;
    All must join my cause.
    Shed the layers of what once was,
    And grow pure and clean and thin.
    - skeleton

    ReplyDelete